The original Pollastrelli Wiper design consists of a 3 roll wiper design with 2 rolls above the strip and one roll below. In recent years, we have made substantial innovations to the 4-roll wiper design (2 rolls above the strips; 2 rolls below) including new design bearing yokes, different spring loading and variable pressure designs. Each roll is backed up across its axial length by numerous spring loaded caster bearings thereby ensuring uniform support across the width which also allow the rolls to conform to the shape of the strip. The entire Pollastrelli wiper assembly is mounted on spring loaded guides which enable the wiper to "float" thereby allowing for a varying passline height.
Coolant nozzles and edge-directed air nozzles are mounted on the upper wiper assembly back towards the mill housing side. The coolant nozzles direct the exiting coolant coolant back towards the mill housing forming an effective coolant dam, while the air nozzles act as edge blow offs. (The air nozzles are a special design with low noise generation). With this design, more coolant is directed to the front door and back plates.
Compare Pollastrelli Wipers against your current cost of maintaining contact type wipers. Our calculations (based on a 50” mill) show that payback will occur in as few as 12 months of operation. Cost of operation after this time is limited to re-grinding the rolls every 3 to 6 weeks of operation - based on a 3 shift operation.
We have well over 100 systems in operation world-wide!
Advantages of the Pollastrelli Wiper Design
- Pollastrelli Wipers will not scratch the surface of the strip compared to other contact wiper designs. The small diameter rolls have low inertia and therefore fast acceleration/deceleration times which will not skid against the surface of the strip.
- Smaller rolls wipe more effectively because they cut through the oil film better than a large diameter roll. Rolls can be changed out more easily and can be re-ground more cheaply. Total change time is on the order of a few minutes. Maintenance cost and downtime is considerably less than any other contact wiper. Wiper rolls are nominally re-ground 0.002" on diameter.
- Wiper rolls are supported continuously along their length thereby ensuring uniform wiping action. Wiping action is as good in the middle as along the edges because the roll change shape to match the strip!
- Pollastrelli wipers are compact and can be fitted into a smaller space than previous wiper designs. In most cases, they will be an exact replacement for existing hose wiper applications.
- Pollastrelli wiper applications are Reliable, Low Maintenance, and Effective. This design has been proven in production; assemblies are designed for ease of maintenance and installation; wiping action is at least as good as if not better than standard dual roll hose type wipers.
- Pollastrelli Wipers were originally developed as a retrofit to existing mills using under-sized old work rolls. Since then we have supplied numerous wipers with new mill installations and have designed custom applications for high speed, thin gauge as well as semi-automated removal systems.
- Small diameter wiper rolls conform to the strip shape for even strip wiping across the strip.
- M1 wiper rolls are ground on a standard work roll grinder.
- Our customers claim wipers run as long as 3-6 weeks before removal for inspection and surface grinding.
- Pollastrelli Wipers can be custom configured to your application - for heavy finish gauges, for intermediate gauges and/or for very thin gauges.
- These Wipers can be supplied with a quick change platform, or, depending upon space requirements can be changed by porter bar or fork lift depending upon size (strip width) and application.
- 4-Roll Pollastrelli Wipers are available for very thin gauge operation. This wiper is designed to change from 3-roll to 4-roll operation on-line and during rolling as required!
- New Super Pollastrelli Wiper Design and Edge Relief for narrow strip rolling, variable wiping pressure across the width of the strip and the added benefit of having easy to remove cartridges for ease of maintenance.
T. Sendzimir, Inc, also designs:
- Standard 2-Roll 3M roller wipers
- Large Diameter chock supported 3-Roll, Roller Wipers
- Vacuum assist wipers
- Standard hose type wipers
- We also have developed a proprietary design 2-roll wiper using a small diameter 3M roll as the wiping medium. More information upon request!
- Multiple wiper configuration assemblies of any of the above.
- Specialty 3-Roll designs for high speed/thin gauge applications.
If you have a spare unit, then we can make these changes to the spare and change out each unit until a complete re-design has been achieved on all Pollastrelli wiper units. Please call for more information.